Syllabus Blog Response

Read the About and Policies pages. Respond to them by putting a Comment to this post. You should discuss your reaction and response to the course goals, projects, what you expected from this class, what you think it’s going to be about, what you value as a student, what you hope to gain from this class, what ideas you might already have for presentation topics, and anything else you find relevant for me to know from the outset.

Your post serves as recognition that you have read and understood the course syllabus (i.e., this blog) and also helps me gauge what you expect from me and this class. This post should be 3-4 paragraphs, and is due by 8am next Wednesday, January 20.

Let me know if you have questions!
cb

18 thoughts on “Syllabus Blog Response

1. Haley Drucker

I really had no idea what this class would be about—I just took it because I have to. I hoped it would have something to do with publishing (as the title suggests), because even though I’m technically in a ‘Publishing Sequence’ none of the classes I’ve taken have had much to do with publishing. Since I already know a lot about print publishing from my own research, I don’t mind that that class is all about digital publishing. I love technology and the Internet, and I’m working with some online forms of media for my internship this semester: a website, a wiki, and Second Life. I also liked seeing “the so-called print/digital divide” in the list of topics, because I think the differences and similarities between print and online publishing is interesting and important.

I do wish the class were more broadly based (‘scholarly’ publishing is not at all a field I’m interested in), but hopefully much of what we discuss can be applied to other areas. After all, 3 out of the 4 goals for the class don’t even mention ‘scholarly’ publishing—they highlight more broad issues and trends. As someone who’s exploring freelance writing and plans to write books for young adults (who love technology) the more I can learn about the world of digital text the better. What little I know about the projects suggests they will help with these goals by giving us practical, hands-on experience—which sounds great to me. I do dread the idea of a speech, though, but I realize it is important to practice public speaking. As for the list of presentation topics, I don’t know what a lot of them are, but I might be interested in doing Print on Demand or Vanity Presses.

What is really bothering me about this class, though, is the 100% participation policy. This is for two reasons. First, I am really bad at talking during class. For one, I’m not naturally a talker. I learn more by observation. More importantly though, I think slowly and thoroughly so if I ever come up with something to say in class everyone else has moved on to a new topic. I know speaking in class is only a part of participation, but it’s one of the most obvious parts. What I dislike the most about this policy, though, is not knowing how I’m doing throughout the semester. Occasional grades (even ‘advisory grades’ or something like that) help you get a feel for how you’re doing and what the professor likes/dislikes. After all, one professor might give a project an A and another professor might give the exact same project a C. I’ve had a class or two where we didn’t get much in the way of grades until the end, and those experiences were incredibly stressful. Add that this is my last semester, and I can’t get more than 1 B overall if I want to graduate summa cum laude, and you can see why I would really like some kind of feedback.

The last question is about values: what do I value as a student? I’m really not sure what this question means, so I’ll just answer it in a way that makes sense to me. I value classes with clear expectations, that lay out policies in the beginning and follow them as closely as possible. This includes projects—I like to know exactly what I’m expected to do beforehand. I value practical work and actually learning something, not just having endless discussions. My ideal class has room for student input but recognizes that the teacher is an expert and has the responsibility for providing new information and experiences. I value focus and not wasting time on busywork, and being able to do most of the required work on my own and not in groups. Finally, I value the ability to have input into the projects I do—being able to pick a topic or at least put a personalized spin on a required topic.

2. Heather Stephenson

When I registered for this class, I knew that it would build on 254, which I took last spring. I am currently taking both this class and 351. I am excited to be taking these classes together because they will go hand in hand, however, it makes me a little nervous because I have never been great with computers and I have never done anything with digital publishing or websites. So basically this semester could be great, or horrible, I’m staying positive and going to great!
    I like that because we have already learned about print publishing, we will almost be comparing/contrasting that with digital publishing. I think it’s important to know the difference between the two and also be able to use both because in the end, it will make us more marketable when trying to find jobs. Though I’m not thrilled about the scholarly publication aspect, I think it will be interesting how digital publishing has completely changed and is continuing to change the publishing world as we know it. One of the topics that intrigues me those most is “publishing from a distance”. I am planning to move to Jacksonville, Florida after graduation. Although it’s not the middle of nowhere, it’s also not Chicago, New York, or California, and I am concerned about finding a job. If digital publishing means that I would be able to live in Jacksonville and work somewhere else, then I’m all for it. One thing that I’m not excited about is editing. I know I’m a publishing major, and the idea of editing should thrill me, but 353 (Technical Editing) really turned me off from this whole idea. Maybe this class will inspire me to like, or at least tolerate editing a little more.
    The major assignments look very interesting to me. I wish I knew more about the two class projects. I guess I just don’t understand how grades will work or be consistent if we are all assigned to do something different on one project, instead of all being assigned the same things to do on several different projects. Even though I’m not the best public speaker, I think the presentation could be really interesting. Electronic Literature and EReaders are very interesting to me because I feel that they have changed and are going to continue to change the entire industry. I don’t think anyone can really grasp what kind of impact this new technology is going to have.
    Okay, now that I feel like I’ve been rambling, I’ll talk about what I value as a student. I really value structure and organization. Some of my most frustrating classes here at ISU have been with professors that are unorganized or with a class structure that wasn’t good or didn’t even exist. I know it’s something I’ll have to work on because not everything in real life has structure, and this class is project-based, so things can change significantly from day to day. I also value a professor that works in the field that they teach and is therefor an expert in what they are teaching me. I also value actually learning in the classroom, because it isn’t cheap. And last but not least, I value learning thins that will actually help me in my career instead of meaningless papers or work that also waste’s a professors time by having to grade it. I like meaningful knowledge and assignments.
    And I think that’s all… I’m excited for a great semester!

3. Heather Stephenson

(Sorry for mt third post, I dont know why the computer made the first one)

I forgot to comment on the policies. I agree with most of them. We are all here because we value education and want to teach/learn in meaningful ways. Attendance, timeliness, readiness and thoughtfulness are all very fair ways to assign grades, and I agree with them. However, Like Haley, I am nervous about the 100 percent participation grade. As I said before, I like structure so I think it will be hard for me to try and gauge how I think I’m doing in the class. I like the feedback and seeing my grades on paper throughout the semester.

4. Sean Lewis

Admittedly, I signed up for this course in order to fulfill a requirement in my major. The title of the course is rather vague so, until our first meeting, I had no idea what to expect. I was very excited to learn that the class would be focusing on publishing in the digital realm. Although I am strongly in favor of the persistence of print, I think it can coexist with digital media and (as we saw with the augmented reality demonstration in class) work together to take publishing to exciting new places.

The fact that this class will be treated much like a job is somewhat intimidating. However, I have a lot of respect for professors that have clear expectations and demand high performance. I’d rather leave this class prepared than to simply skate along with a good grade. This is why I was so glad to hear that we will be working on real projects this semester that we can include in our resumes in the future. Also it seems that the material will be presented in a fun and “quirky” manner, which should make the class less daunting.

The policies do not seem to be unreasonable at all. The 100% participation grading system seemed a bit odd at first but made sense after I read through the syllabus. I like the fact that “nothing will be an all-or-none shot.” That will make the class less stressful. Attendance, timeliness, readiness, and thoughtfulness are certainly not new concepts for a college course so there were no surprises there. Personally, I will have to focus on speaking during class. I am usually a bit reticent about speaking in front of others and will just have to make more of an effort for this course.

I am very interested in the Kindle and I am considering it for a project this semester. For me, the device is very frustrating because of all the potential it has that has not yet been tapped. What is the use of presenting people with digital copies of texts that are widely available in print? Isn’t the Kindle ideal for hypertext fiction? What interesting ways could experimental text be experienced on such a device? These are the ways I would like to evaluate Amazon’s technological triumph (sarcasm).

5. Amber Dinquel

As I said in class, I am looking forward to this class. It is an area I have never explored before (as is publishing in general). After our class discussion last Wednesday, I realized how often I rely on digital publishing to get me through my day, whether it’s a website, blog, twitter, etc. I also believe that this class can make me more marketable in the publishing as well as the teaching world. Out of the possible internships that I’ve been applying to, I’m finding more and more that want someone who has some experience with digital publishing or is at least willing to attempt it. I hope this class will make me more comfortable with the whole process.

As for the class participation, I think that’s awesome. Being able to look at a class from a teacher’s perspective now, I realize how difficult it is to get students to participate. (Although I highly doubt that will be a problem in a class of juniors, seniors and grad students.)I agree with the idea that everything we will essentially be doing in this class is part of class participation. I like the metaphor of being in the real world, which both thrills me and scares me. As for class projects I am definitely looking forward to working on the ENG 101 archives since I know it will directly affect me in the future.

As for the scope of the class, scholarly publishing is a realm that will be important in my future. I’m teetering between teaching at the college level or a publishing career. I’m hoping both at some point. So either way I think this class will be beneficial and I hope it will be a challenge!

6. Julia Drauden

I was very happy to see that you would be teaching English 354 because I know from meeting you and from what other students have said about your classes, that you do “a lot of cool stuff,” for lack of a better phrase! The “so-called print/digital divide” is something I am very excited to learn about, because in my own endeavors I have been trying to figure out why digitally published works (for example, a web site or blog versus a print journal) is regarded as “less legitimate” by much of society. Seeing your name as the instructor tipped me off that we would be going in a very interesting direction, using new technologies and new media to explore the future of professional publishing.

My personal interests and experiences make me very invested in this class. I am really looking forward to gaining an understanding of the new directions in which publishing is headed and how my skills can be directed in the same way, to hopefully get a fulfilling job sometime after May! I think the knowledge I will gain in 354 will help me figure out more specifically what I want to do, and thus how to find a job doing it.

Because I am an aspiring poet, I really want to learn how new media and digital publishing is or soon will impact literary publishing specifically. (This is also the field I would ideally want to work in after I graduate). I would like to explore some aspect of this for presentation topics, as well as new forms creative work can take with the development of new technologies.

What I value as a student is a productive and engaging learning experience with a lot of flexibility. As an English major (like everyone else here!) I love intelligent discussion that develops organically in a classroom; I feel that is most exciting and beneficial because as students we are able to make connections and conclusions drawn from our own lives and experiences—fitting the subject matter of discussion into what we already know, instead of trying to approach something unfamiliar in an uncomfortable way. I learn really well when I am able to reword or reformulate a concept myself, and sometimes connecting something in class to a mundane or quirky aspect of pop culture, and discussing that with classmates, is a very effective way to do that. I have a really good feeling about this class with regards to this because you specified that we can expect “an ability to go with the flow and to create learning scenarios that may initially seem quirky and unorganized.”

I am kind of excited that my grade will be 100% participation because I have never had a problem participating in class and I think it’s a productive viewpoint to see every aspect of classwork as “participation.” It seems what you are asking of us is, above all, to be enthusiastic and care about what we are going to learn, and I think we will problem with that!

7. Alli Bartus

I expect to get a lot out of this class. As of right now, the majority of my experience with publishing is purely print. I’m hoping this class will broaden my knowledge of digital media and digital publishing. I think it’ll enhance the skills I already have, as well as teach me things I have yet to learn. It’s so important, especially today, to learn about the technological and digital aspects of publishing because that’s the direction a lot of publishing houses, newspapers, magazines, etc. are heading towards. I mentioned this in class, but the Augmented Reality articles we looked at in class last week fascinated me. Although my first goal is to learn more about publishing, I’m hoping to be introduced to more digital media that peaks my interest.

After reading through the class goals, I definitely got a better understanding of what we’ll be doing in class. I think it’s definitely important to talk about the benefits and drawbacks between print and digital publishing. As I mentioned before, a lot of places are taking things digital. What I found most interesting and I think am most looking forward to is the idea of learning how to learn about technological changes. Obviously it’s important to keep track of how things in your field are changing and adapting, and we talk about those things in many other classes. However, a lot of the time we don’t take the time to talk about how to go about staying on top of these advances.

To be honest, reading the policies page made me very happy. I found that in reading all the values and expectations, they matched my values and expectations very similarly. As a student, I definitely value readiness, timeliness and thoughtfulness and everything that comes along with it. I come to class to learn (especially in this case because it pertains so closely to my major) and get discouraged and frustrated when that time is being taken away from me by others not respecting those values. I think this class could really teach me a lot and I look forward to the rest of the semester.

8. Ariana Haze

I signed up for this class since it was required for my major but, I was pleased to see that Cheryl was teaching it as well. Since ENG 254 is a prerequisite (sort of) for this class, I was concerned with whether I would be behind or even kicked out for not having taken it. I remember sitting there, worrying whether or not I would be able to actually take this course. I am currently enrolled in ENG 254 so hopefully together they will strengthen my understanding of this field of publishing.
    It’s interesting to see that our grade is solely based on participation. I’ve never had a class where it was 100% participation, but it makes sense. By completing the work and engaging in class you are being an active participant. I also like that we are dealing with the digital aspect of publishing. This pleases me since in this day and age, so much of today’s media is becoming digital and it is important to know how to work with it.
    I know that this class is going to be hard, but I have taken a class with Cheryl before and I know that I can handle it. The material is all new to me and thus will keep me interested and active in the class. As far as ideas for our group presentation, I would be interested in working on a project that has to do with E-Books or Kindle. That is something that fascinates me.

9. Alexander Browne

Well, like many students I took this class to complete a requirement, but it does sound fun to take a class with a more directly applicable to what I hope to do. I look forward to getting involved in some of the projects and seeing what you have to teach me and what I can learn from what I see as an unorthodox mixing of text and technology. That said I also realize that the arts are always intrinsically bonded to existing technology.
    My initial reaction is one of trepidation and doubt, I’ve been in classes with a heavy reliance on class participation and found them to be poorly organized and result in what I perceive as subjective and unfair grading practices. I am not saying that this is going to happen in your class, but it has been my experience in the past. Also, as a student I usually respond better to regular if frequent graded feedback, I’m not sure how feedback will manifest in this class. Outlining the expectations and definitions of participation helped me to understand in greater detail what is expected of me.
    Regarding the other policies for this class I didn’t see much that struck me as unusual. The attendance policy is a little more strict than I’ve seen in other classes. The overall nature of the course as one of practical practice combined with academic study makes this class a good bridge between the classroom and professional worlds. This melding of practical and academic gives a greater importance to what we do and makes it more useful in some regards.

10. Kristen Urchell

I have to admit this class was/is the one I am most excited AND anxious about. As an English major in the publishing sequence, I feel that I really haven’t been exposed to many publishing aspects until I took ENG 254. I took this class, yes because I had to, but mostly because I want to expand my knowledge on publishing.
    Perhaps the most exciting news that I heard last week was that we would be focusing on digital and scholarship. I will, unfortunately, graduate without taking ENG 351, so if I can learn anything about digital print and practice some basic things I will not feel so behind at graduation. Digital publishing is actually something I am debating in either 1) getting an associates degree/certificate in (As far as web development and design) or possibly 2) a master’s in. I cannot deny the impact that internet has on every medium.
    Another aspect of this class that I find intriguing is the three collaborative projects. Last semester’s 254 and my internship now give me a guided project. In my opinion, I learn more when I can bounce ideas of my classmates and teachers without the pressure of failing myself. I learn the best this way as a guided, watched practice before I am on my own in the “real world.” I do have to admit, I am organized and talk a lot so I may tend to take over some things. Hopefully, in a good way and one that will be considered in my participation grade (in a good way).
    Admittedly, and not surprisingly, I have mixed feelings about participation being 100% of our grade. First, I am a worrier. I like to be able to map my grade and I hate surprises at the end of the semester. Also, the professors in the past who have followed this method have admitted to the final grade being ignorant of my time and effort into the projects that were completed and based solely on their opinion. I suppose this is the case for every grade but I have no way of knowing if I need to improve or how. On the other hand, I have been successful in my past internship and essentially that grade is 100% participation. I love to talk and participate in discussions. And every project I do has the end goal of being successful, even though sometimes I falter. I intend to go through this class as an extra internship.
    The only thing I was really surprised by was the possibility of getting kicked out of class for coughing. Little, I know, but it caught my eye. I should warn. I cough. All the time and loudly. I apologize ahead of time but I truly cannot control it (or the noise level) and doctors have never been able to tell me why. So please do not kick me out because I am excited and want to be in the class.

11. Alison Kough

I find it very interesting that this class will be speaking about the digital form of publishing. Because technology is evolving at an extremely quickening pace, it’s important to not only see publishing as something material like a book, but all aspects of publishing including digital publishing, web publishing, etc. It’s also interesting to not that digital publishing involves a different set of rules and legality concerns which I’m not familiar with, but am interested in learning about. I’m actually very interested in scholarly publishing. My dream job would be to help edit some academic journal about linguistics.
    I agree completely with the policies set out and I think they are some of the most reasonable in the publishing sequence because we are all of different academic experiences and levels, it’s difficult to gauge one student’s work against the others so all there is to do is try your best. The class projects seem like a lot of fun and I’m excited that we’ll be working as a group and working on real projects rather than doing class exercises. The book looks all right, but I would probably learn more by actually practicing rather than reading. What I value as a student being trusted that I can do hard work and being treated more as a peer and less as a student.

12. Carly Xagas

Because the publishing sequence currently only has two courses with “publishing” in the title, I am very invested in this course and can fully understand the requirement of professionalism that the syllabus so clearly outlines. If the goals seem difficult to achieve or even “harsh,” there is a reason for it: this is one of only two (required) chances to immerse ourselves in the publishing world as undergrads, and some of us didn’t even get to take 254. That is a major flaw in the system! A semester ago, Mark Vegter told me I wouldn’t even be able to take 354, so I am thrilled to be here, and especially excited that the course is about the digital front. Many say that the age of print publications is “dying”–whether or not that’s true, I’m not sure, but I do know that I am glad to have experience in both realms, for whatever career path I wind up taking.
    Like everyone else, I was surprised by the fact that 100% of our grade is participation, but it makes sense to me now that I’ve thought about it. As was pointed out in class, anything done in class can be considered “participation,” and in the professional world, there are no grades assigned–you either get it done and get it done right, or you live in fear that your job may be in jeopardy anytime you fail to complete something on time (or at all). The way I see it, participation being 100% is just one more way to help prepare me for the “real world.”
    Because Sarah rarely talked about digital publishing in 254 because it wasn’t her expertise, I really didn’t know what to expect before reading the course topics on the “About” page. Even after reading them, I still don’t know what most of them are without looking them up (i.e. “the economics of open- and closed-access publishing). Something that sparked my interest from this list right away was digital copyright. Copyright in general is both frustrating and fascinating to me, and when we learned about it in my Hypertext class last semester, I knew I’d want to explore it further. I hope to have that opportunity in this class, maybe as my presentation topic. I am also excited about the three collaborative projects. I’m not sure how that will work with so many people, but I’m interested to find out. Sixteen brains are better than one!
    As a student, I value the learning environment of the classroom, and I am excited to explore that this semester in a way that is much more collaborative than I am used to. Instead of being lectured to and writing an occasional paper like many English classes, this course will be different. It can teach us the skills we need in the publishing field, both digital and literary, as well as disciplining us in a way that prepares us for our future professions. (As a side note, I’m glad the class is being taught in the pub unit. Since some students haven’t had 254, I think it’s a great space to become familiar with, even if there is a computer shortage.)

13. Christina Pallack

Reading a similar syllabus my initial reaction was daunted just as it was when I took multimodal composition last semester. I thought that I would be prepared to handle it but I still know that although the class will require a lot of work I can rise to the challenge. Starting with the ‘About’ page I was very pleased to read that we would be discussing the paper vs. digital publishing debate. Obviously as technology advances I am continuously worried about how I will fit in to the working environment. I am happy to know that I can still adapt as the publishing world advances however difficult it might be to learn how.
    I am also very eager and exited to be able to get some real world experience in publishing. It’s nice to actually have an assignment in a course that I can use later on in life as experience on a resume. Although I have not taken 254 I am taking alongside this course during the semester and I am sure that each class will cross topics and discussions. Looking at the presentation topics I am not sure which I would prefer to do just yet. I did get a Sony book reader for Christmas and I have been really impressed with it when I did not believe that I would like it at all. So I might consider doing the presentation on the E-readers.
    Looking at the policies page it is pretty straight forward and easy to understand. It is not hard to figure out the way to earn an A or B in the class. Again I do appreciate that the instructor has given us an idea of what we can expect from her. What I expect from the class is to learn more about digital publishing as I feel that broadening my knowledge can only aid me as I continue in my school work and as I look for a job. Overall I am excited to take this course. I am glad for the chance to actually get experience in the field and to learn more about digital publishing.

14. Michael Bunce

In reading the “About” section of the syllabus, I was pleasantly surprised to learn about the course’s change in direction from its focus on literary publishing to digital publishing. Although I personally prefer literary publishing, I recognize the increasingly digital trends as becoming more and more essential to the entire field of publishing; consequently, I believe this course will provide me with at least a foundational knowledge of digital publishing and how to keep up with its rapid pace of change. The presentation topics almost all are foreign to me, which is good in the sense that it forces me to delve sincerely and thoroughly in my research for it. The collaborative digital publishing projects sound very exciting, especially because I have never done a class-wide project before.

Concerning the “Policies” segment of the syllabus, I found this entire part different and refreshing. Generally speaking, I have never had a syllabus that listed the instructor’s values and expectations, as well as what I should expect in return from the instructor. Similarly, this is the first time my grade is to be based entirely on participation; on a deeper level, I appreciate the variety of ways I can participate beyond simply showing up and putting in my two cents here and there.

The tips for earning an A and exuding excellence are also both unique characteristics of the syllabus. Although there are several specific points for earning an A and being excellent, the class does sound truly challenging; yet, to be excellent, we must actually excel at our work, not just meet it. Basically, I have little to no knowledge of digital publishing, so I believe that everything I learn in this class will reflect the effort I contribute.

15. Sarah Fase

So far I am very excited to see how this course will build upon my knowledge of the field of publishing and how it will expand on some of my prior coursework done in ENG 254. I am a little concerned that I did not take any of the other courses listed (although I am currently taking Technical Editing) but hopefully my prior experience will be enough to succeed in this class. As of now I have practically no experience in the digital publishing world and I was a little shocked to hear that this is what the entire course is centered around. But I am excited to learn about a discipline that is so much a part of my desired field that I have not been exposed to yet. Each topic of discussion listed in the About portion does interest me because of my limited knowledge about them. I think it will be interesting to learn about how changing the publishing field is because of the rise of technology and how it will affect me as someone interested in publishing. The presentation topics look as though they will be very helpful in educating the class on the different shapes digital publications can take. I am so excited about the different projects we will be doing throughout the semester. Each project seems to actually have a real purpose that will give us professional experience that is not just simulated for classroom use. That give me extra motivation and drive to learn and succeed in this course. I agree with all of the policies; none of them seem too out of the ordinary or extreme. I am interested to see how the grading process works. A lot of work does fall under the participation umbrella so I completely understand this approach. It is a little frightening not having a black and white syllabus showing me where my grade will come from but this will provide an entirely new learning environment for me.

16. Drew Whitney

The major reason I am taking this class is that I want to learn as much about publishing as I can with my time left at ISU. Coming into this class I was expecting an extension of what we went over in 254. From reading the course goals I can see where some things will relate between the classes (constant changes, scholarly work, etc), but am now expecting a completely new experience. As of right now I am not that interested in the advent of digital print, mostly due to a lack of exposure and the desire to maintain the physical novel. However, I look forward to working further with the programs involved in publishing and how they function with both current printed texts and the technological developments involving e-publishing and the internet.

As a student I tend to value the learning process and how each teacher deals with it differently. Initially when I went back to school it was to learn, no major focus on the degree. The publishing world intrigues me and anything I can possibly learn about it will help with whatever it is I end up doing in the future. I am a little concerned about the 100% participation grading section, but for now will just have to see how it progresses with the semester. This is due mainly to only being an active talker in smaller settings. I brood over issues while listening to others and, depending on the subject, it takes me awhile to come up with a solid response.

After taking 254 last semester with Sarah I became indecisive about future job prospects. This is a good thing, as before I was solely focused on editing and proofreading. The publishing world has too many different facets to explore, to limit myself to a single prospect. While my focus is still on editing I have broadened my choices to include bibliography, layout/design, e-publishing, and am still figuring out what other options are available. Products such as Amazon’s Kindle are a current interest of mine, so this may be a possibility for a presentation.

17. Katie Ericsson

I am very excited to be taking a course centered on digital publishing. Although I signed up for 354 because it is required for my major, I expect it to be a great experience and I am looking forward to exploring different forms of publishing. I have only taken courses in print publishing, so hopefully this class will expand my skill set as an editor. I was surprised and happy to see that the course would involve different kinds of scholarship. As much as I love literary publishing, it will be interesting to study digital scholarship and learn about different trends in the discipline.
    Digital publishing has become a hot button topic for editors, authors, and readers alike. Everyone from students to the most esteemed literary critics wonder if multi-modal publishing online will replace print publishing, even if only in certain venues. I think it is crucial for publishing students to learn about the benefits and the costs to print and digital publishing, so I was very pleased to see that as an objective. I also like that we will be closing the gap between the creative and the scholarly, showing that both can coincide and use multiple mediums to create a publication.
    As for the more technical side to publishing, I am looking forward to exploring the basics of multiple programs. I have never played with Adobe Flash or Photoshop, so even the beginning activities where we thoroughly examined the map listed on Kairos’ website was different and interesting for me. I have done some work on Dreamweaver in the past and I think it will be helpful to get more experience using it. I know this is not a technical computer class; however, even skimming the surface of some of these programs will help me as a student and future editor.
    One thing that came as a surprise was that the class is based on 100% participation. However, this makes perfect sense considering the nature of the class. Because so many of the projects and discussions are done in small groups, any other grading policy would ignore the interactions between group members and rely only on the finished product.
    Basing the grade entirely on participation acknowledges the process from start to finish, and it seems like this class will be mostly about the process. Also, this class is formatted like a job considering if someone does not participate in a job, he or she will most likely be let go. I like that one of the subsets underneath participation in the grading policy section was thoughtfulness. In too many classes, students skip through without having to strain much or think critically. I have no doubt this class will challenge us to constantly think outside the box.
    My personal goals and experiences will help me enjoy and understand this class a little better. I have taken English 254 in the past, and I am looking forward to comparing the methods of print publishing to the trends in digital publishing. I am not sure what topic I will pick for the final presentation, although I would like to draw on some of these comparisons and acknowledge the differences between print and digital publishing. Overall, I am a little nervous and very excited for this class. I have heard great things about it, and great things about you as a professor, so I can’t wait to get started.